Tuesday, November 30, 2010

October 13, 2010


Hey everybody I have about an hour so I will type fast because I have a lot to say.  I wrote you a letter last week and I am not sure if you got it or not, but it had a bunch of info.  Anyway, I will repeat it here just in case you didn't receive it. 

I got to Washington just fine and it is great here.  My first area is, as you know, Vancouver.  Unfortunately, this is one of the rainiest parts of the mission (I hate rain).  It is very green and pretty, though.  My trainer is Elder Cashin.  He is very nice and pretty cool.  He and I are opposites to say the least.  I mean exact opposites.  He is very studious and likes lots of things I don't.  He has a good work ethic, but is very shy (even more so than me (yikes!))!  He has been out 17 months and is from Platte City, Missouri.  We get along well, although there are lots of times where he doesn't explain how to do things very well so I learn a lot on my own by trial and error; however, I do ask lots of questions.  I am starting to get the hang of things though.  He works hard like me and is just very different than me (not sporty, loves reading and writing, etc.). 

We are living with the Turner's.  He was the former bishop.  They are extremely nice and caring.  They have a one floor home and it is very nice.  We stay in a nice room there.  It is not an apartment, but a home.  We are taken care of well. 

I got dad's letter last night that he wrote on the 8th.  We have 2 wards we are in charge of.  We have the Mountain View Ward, which is a typical family ward.  It is nice and the leadership of the ward welcomed me warmly and they are very nice.  The other ward is the Clark County YSA Ward.  We are having some success in both wards.  The leadership in that ward is very nice to me as well.  Bishop Turner is in the bishopric and works with the ward, too. 

The bike.......!  It got here and we put it together just fine.  I love it and it works great.  It is very, very nice!  However, I encountered my 2nd flat tire last night.  The first one was the night we put it together.  We bought a tube at the store and fixed it up.  It worked great till last night.  I got another flat in the other tire. 

Today (Wednesday, 13th) is our P-Day because Monday and Tuesday the senior companions had a meeting with the President and so all day for those 2 days things were crazy with the new missionaries switching with other companionships.  Our P-Day is always Tuesdays, though.  That's why I am writing today because it is today for this week that P-Day is.  Anyways, I am going to buy another tube at the store later today and fix that tire; then things hopefully will stay well with the bike after that!  Everything came with the bike just fine and it worked out good. 

We eat with the members about every other night.  They are nice and helpful.  I appreciate all they do.  Strangely enough, it has only rained 2 times since I have been here, but the rain is coming soon and everybody says it will not stop till summer next year.....DANG!  I hate the rain.  It is a very pretty area though and besides me hating the rain, everything is nice.  It is chilly here, too.  The cold part of the year is coming on.  Fortunately, my coat is great and I am from Utah, so I can handle a wet, rainy winter.  We are the only elders in the area without a car for right now.  I am getting a great workout riding the bike everywhere.  When we go on exchanges at night, however, members sign up to help drive us around and visit people who live way far from where we live so we can save time.  We do bike to most places, though.  Good thing I'm in shape!  Missionary work is good.  The investigators are good, too.  I have faced 95% rejection and 5% success so far.  Most people don't even want to answer the door when they see us.  They are inside, but don't answer.  Others just say they don't want to talk to us.  Rarely, some people politely reject us.  Every once in a while (very rarely), people will let us in and set up another appointment. 

So far, we are teaching a few families and a few single people.  The Schiermeister family, the Hadenfield family, the Dreier Family, and the others have slipped away from me, but we are also teaching Justin Hurley, who is scheduled for baptism a week from this Saturday.  When I came out, he was already scheduled for it, but I have continued to teach him with Elder Cashin.  Hopefully it goes through.  I don't have time to look at my planner and list all the people we are meeting with this week, but there are lots.  Hopefully they all progress well and keep up their commitments and appointments. 

I am at the city library right now writing this and we are shopping after.  We did laundry this morning at the Turner's and are having our fun time after lunch, till about 5.  Then we eat dinner and go tracting tonight and have a few specific people we are stopping by.  The hardest part of missionary work............No family, no college football and sports every day, no friends, rejection, homesickness, always staying focused.  There are lots of hard things, but I am working hard to overcome them all, especially when the neighbors over the fence watch college football and we can see it as we eat dinner at the Turner's(I try not to watch!)  By the way, even though BYU is not doing too well this year, I heard at the YSA FHE potluck on Monday night that we beat SDSU!  Dad said they were good in his letter.  I bet I get a letter tonight saying that we won!  I am so stoked!  I bet we lose to TCU and Utah and win out, going 6-6.  If so, we can get a bowl game.  Hearing that we won made my week! 

Things are easy at times and very hard at other times.  I am glad to be serving a mission, but can use all the prayers I can get.  I am so happy to hear from all of you in letters and emails.  It makes my day.  I always save the letters till right before I go to bed to read because it gives me something to look forward to every night.  They are my bread and butter out here. 

I saw Elder Lemperle at the transfer site and talked for a bit with him.  He is doing great and made me feel at home here.  I saw Elder Buchannan from a distance, but we were leaving as I spotted him so I didn't get to talk to him.  He seems to be doing well also.

Oh, I just realized there are a few things I could use if it is possible for you to send them to me.  First of all, somehow I left my white windbreaker at home (at least I'm almost positive that's where it is) and I can't believe I forgot to pack it, but when we run in the morning (my idea because we wouldn't if it was up to him) and it's cold and misty/rainy, I could use that.  Also, Elder Cashin has a rubiks cube that he is able to do at night.  If it is possible for you to send mine from my top drawer in my room I would much appreciate it. 

I got my card out here that I buy stuff with.  I will use that before the debit card and will only use the debit card if I have to.  I will be good with spending only what I need to, trust me (you know I don't buy what I don't need). 

What else to write.....!  Of the 10 elders from my MTC district, 6 went to Washington.  Of those 6, 3 went to the Vancouver South Zone including me (Elder Nielsen and Elder Young).  I have seen President Greer a few times and Sister Greer, also.  They are so cool and I love them.  They are great people and I am lucky to have them as my mission president.  My testimony grows daily and I learn so much out here. 

Dad, remember when I told you I finished the Book of Mormon and was starting over and asked you how long you thought it would be before I finished?  I am all the way to Alma 15 already!  It is good stuff.  I hope to finish by the end of November, if not then, the end of the year for sure.  It is great stuff in there and I learn so much by reading it.

  Well, my time is half up.  I will continue to write what comes to mind!  Brandon, I love hearing from you.  Keep up the sports info.  So Kirilenko is staying, eh?!  Interesting!  I am so jealous that you get to do fantasy basketball.  Think of me.  I am glad you dedicated it to me.  We will win together this year.  Let me know who is on our team and how we do.  How did the Jazz's first preseason game go?  When does the season start, or has it already?  Who does BYU play this week?  Isn't it TCU?  What are the dates and teams coming up?  Tell everybody at Cutler's hi for me and that I miss it there (although I never thought I would find myself saying that)!  How is the weather there? 

The Turner's are going to get our Centerville address from me so they can talk with you (you being mom and dad).  They are great people.  Dad, how is work going?  I wondered how many times you were in Provo at the courthouse while I was there at the MTC.  I looked for you and thought of our great drives we had going to Provo, Heber City, Logan, etc.  By the way everybody, I loved the MTC.  I learned so much there and would do it again if I could.  It was great and I miss it there.  I wish I could have been there longer.  Tell all of my friends and family and the neighbors hi for me and how much I miss them and am grateful for all they do for me and for their prayers.  I miss all of you back home. 

Erin, I have not heard from you!  How is she doing?  I hope everything goes well up in Idaho at school.  Oh, I forgot to tell you, Elder Cashin has been in this area for 6 months!  That's 4 transfers I think, maybe 5.  He knows the area well and might get transferred at the next one, but maybe not.  Maybe I will be, maybe not!  It is sunny here today and will be tomorrow, but then the rains come for a long time and don't stop.  Did I mention how much I hate the rain?!  I pray for all of you daily.  Brooke and Rocky, How are things going?  I pray for all of you daily, too.  What have you been up to?  Besides Taylor's 3rd birthday have I missed anything else?  Tell the boys how much I love and miss them and to be good and do what's right.  I miss your Sunday visits and CCC's!  Brooke, those were amazing cookies you sent me!  We all loved them!  Rocky, how has your work been going?  Hopefully not too busy.  You have to carry on my legend and play nintendo with the boys while I'm gone!  By the way everybody, all the elders in my district love Super Mario 3 for the old nintendo, too.  They have never beat it and can't believe that I beat it in 20 minutes the fast way, and 6 hours the slow way!  I feel special.  I can't wait to play basketball out here and beat everybody!!!!! 

By the way, wasn't conference great?!  I took 8 pages of notes!  I loved the talk on greatfulness by President Monson and President Uchtdorf's talk on Pride.  I loved Patrik Kearon's talk, too.  So many great talks!  MOM!  I miss you so much!  Keep me updated on the golf and food network and also on GSN!  I miss Sunday nights and also afternoons golfing with you.  I think of you every Sunday night and also in the afternoons!  I think of you when you are on your golf leagues (speaking of which, you might be on your 9 hole league right not, but probably got home a bit ago I'm guessing!)!  Tell everybody how much I love them and miss them. 

Know that missionary work is not an easy thing.  I will say it now; it is harder than I thought it would be.  I will say this now; it is more depressing than I thought it would be.  I will say this now; it is more of a spiritually uplifting experience than I thought it would be.  I will say this now; it is more rewarding already than I thought it would be.  It is exciting, nerve-wracking, saddening, uplifting, scary, fun, and everything all put into one!  Some of the saddest times of my life have happened out here without my family by my side, but the most spiritually uplifting and learning experiences of my life have also been out here.  I could say that if my mission ended right now, I felt like a success.  I would not come home for anything right now.  I wish I could be there with all of you and listen to your voices, laughter, share the memories, feel at peace, but I know where I am supposed to be.  I still don't know why I was called to Washington/Oregon, but I do know that I am supposed to be here.  I may not know till 2 years from now why I am out here spending money, energy, time, effort, and all that I have to talk to people who don't want to see me and wish I would go away and get off their porch and "stop trespassing".  I don't know exactly why I am spending some of the most precious time of my life so far in a place without my support system, love center, and where I am comfortable.  I want everybody who reads this Email to know one thing.  I am out here because I know it is where the Lord wants me to be and that's all that matters.  I don't know hardly anything, but all that I need to know is that I am needed here.  As long as I am obedient, I will be blessed.  It takes patience to be out here away from everybody I love, but I will always do what I am asked to.  I will not come home before 2 years is over.  That is just how it is.  I won't do it.  It doesn't mean I don't want to every day, but it means that I won't do it.  I only have about 5 minutes left, but I want each and every one of you (Mom, Dad, Brooke, Rocky, Brandon, Anni, Erin, Jacob, Taylor, Hayden, Grandma and Grandpa Larson, the Morrison and Rowley families, the Larson families, all my neighbors, and all of my close friends) that I love you and pray for you ALL daily and am serving proud and wish for all of your success and safety daily.  Take care, everybody.  I will write you next Tuesday on P-Day.  I look forward to hearing from those of you who can write.  Thanks for all your support.  You mean the world to me.  I will serve the best I can and put myself in the Lord's care and let the Spirit guide me!  I will be safe as I do this.  Thanks again everybody for all you do for me.  Pray that the families and individuals we teach might be receptive and follow through.  I know you all will!  I love you all.  Take care and I will talk to you on Tuesday!  Love,
                                                                                                                                        Elder Matthew Larson Bates
P.S. Mom and dad, you can send letters and such to the Turner's home, but if I get transferred, you will have to get the new address of where I am from me.  If you want to send everything to the mission address, they will get it to me wherever I am.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment